Tuesday 30 June 2009

Birds Vanishing in Plain Sight


I removed a somewhat anti-American paragraph from my post about our endangered swifts because... well, not because it may cause offence. I'm going to cause offence here no matter what I say or how I say it: the easily upset will always listen out for that. No, I actually like Americans, having lived among them for a tenth of my life. And many of them do know what baleful impact they have had, and still are having, not just on their own country but the rest of the world.

And not just them, but us, and Europeans, and the whole damn lot of humanity. If that comes across as misanthropic, then so be it. Anyway, I am thankful to the Denver Field Ornithologists for reprinting this 2007 article about birds' population decline by Verlyn Klinkenborg in the New York Times. It's far more eloquent and persuasive than I could ever be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Creative Commons License

This work by Andy Gibb is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike 2.0 UK: England & Wales License. It also uses Google Analytics and so creates tracking cookies and collects non-identifiable data about you.